Next step for the garden was irrigation. Now, I know there were some comments about stripping the grass out, but I’d like to leave that in for a couple reasons, one of which is so that the entire area doesn’t turn into a mudpit in the fall. We had a suggestion to border the lawn with plastic edging to keep it from spreading, and I think I’ll try that. I realize it may send out creepers, but we’ll deal with that when we get there.
Also, one commenter (thanks, Susan) had me running for the geiger counter, but I’ve since been talked off the ledge. I haven’t gotten the lead testing done yet, though it’s somewhere in the list of things to do.
Here’s how it looks now!
I think it sort of looks like Medusa now, or a bacterium with pili.
One thing is for sure. Anything I plant will get a GOOD drenching.
The individual little tubes put out 2 gallons a MINUTE, which seems like a whole lot of water to me. Once plants start coming up, we’ll adjust them to water right at the base.
The spray heads around the center spray the grass and do a decent job of soaking the middle, too.
If we need to, we can put another soaking tube into the middle. I’m a little concerned that the grass sprayers are going to spray the leaves of the plants in the center and hurt them, but then I remember that that’s basically how I watered the same plants all last year and they survived.
Once all this was in, we put in some seeds! Carrots, peas, and lettuce.
Hopefully the next pictures will be of some little sprouts coming up and the starts going in!